Monday, March 28, 2011

Kudos to Downton Abbey



As is usually the case with me, I was slow to get on the Downton Abbey train. I had heard how great it was from a variety of sources including a friend who fell instantly in love with the series. I have had both good and bad experiences with British drama. I have spent more than a few nights in theatres where I was itching in my seat for the thing to just finish. Downton Abbey did have a few things going for it. It's incredible cast included Maggie Smith and Elizabeth McGovern, two of my favorite actresses. It was also on television so if I was bored I could simply change the channel. I DVR'd episode one but took so long to watch it the subsequent episodes were over before I even started watching. Thankfully Masterpiece reran the series the last few weeks and last night completed the first four episodes.

The first 15 minutes off Downton hooked me. The music is haunting and the opening scenes with the staff preparing the house for the day were a carefully choreographed and visually stunning piece of film. I was happy to read more episodes are currently in production. Downton has been described as deliciously addictive and that is exactly how I would describe it. The drama is not flashy but intense and each and every actor perfect in their roles


above: Theo James by Kate Friend.

An added bonus was being introduced to actor Theo James who played Turkish aristocrat Kemal Pamuk. Kemal only appeared briefly but his character had a lasting impact. James was born in Oxford, has a degree in philosophy from the University of Nottingham, and trained at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School. His memorable performance in Abbey will have me researching more of his work.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the inclusion of gay characters on the show. I especially liked that man kiss from episode one.

Anonymous said...

The show is available on Netflix, cannot wait to see it. Thanks!