Friday, June 14, 2013

Proficiency: James by Matthew Finley


'I love the act of creation. From an inspiration, through figuring out how to make it work, to the final product and all the spontaneity along the way.'


When I was in University, before I chose the safe route and declared psychology as my major, I also studied theatre. I remember at the end of every production, play or musical, what I missed was not the performing but the rehearsal process. Creating a character, collaborating with others and piecing together each moment of performance was what fed me creatively.


One might assume that the more time and passion one puts into the act of creation, the more success and depth the final product might possess. Sadly, this isn't always the case. Sometimes no matter how much time is put forth, the final product just doesn't quite come together. That is why loving the process as much as the finished product, is truly so important.


Then of course, there are cases when someone just instinctively has what it takes. A natural knack and skill for something that even without a lot of previous experience, is able to produce something incredible from the very beginning. When I first saw these images of James, from Los Angeles photographer Matthew Finley, I made the assumption, that they were taken by a photographer who had been taking professional shots of models for years. The assumption was justified due to how great, as well as professional, the photos of James are. The images are complete, and by complete, I mean beautifully finished. A complete set of images for a models book.  Stunning head shots and portrait images, body and fitness, underwear and variety of looks, mood and emotions. Matthew beautifully captures all of James considerable attributes, including his incredible physique, eyes and facial features.


As is clearly evident from these images, Matthew Finley's proficiency for shooting the human form is considerable. I was surprised when Matthew said that although he had done a few models shoots before, James was the first professional/experienced model that he had shot. Matthew met James through a friend, and the discussed doing a shot to benefit both of their books. This shoot, which occurred a few years ago, remains one of Matthew's favorites.


'We shot at my home, so I knew what time of day the light would be best in the different locations I had planned out. It was amazing to me how much easier , James being a professional, experience model, made the shoot. His confidence in his own skin, ability to move on his own, and take direction well, all just made the shoot so fun, easy, and quick. We had a lot of fun. I was truly spoiled by that shoot. I wish they were all that easy!'



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shots, very sexy and I like how the model feels "illuminated" even in his dark environment.

Anonymous said...

OutSTANDing!!!