Friday, November 1, 2013

Simply Outstanding: Theo Kumar by Roy McGinnis


'The shoot with Roy gave me a confidence that as a model I could do anything!'


Growing up in India in a very conservative environment, Theo Kumar studied to be an engineer and never really thought that one day he would be taking it all off in front of the camera. Theo moved to the United States to pursue his education and ended up staying on to take work as a computer engineer in a high tech firm. While growing up in India, Theo was never that comfortable with himself, especially his body which he considered too skinny.


'In the US, I had the eye opening experience of being comfortable with myself. That shaped my views and I started working out and getting into a shape and form where I felt great about myself. I have traveled extensively around the world and that has shaped my outlook and has kept me grounded as a person. My drive for adventure has also pushed me in the pursuit of dare devil adventure activities throughout the world.'


Theo's body, once the source anguish, is exceptionally suited for the world of modeling. His long lean lines created dramatic poses and images highlighted by his beautiful and expressive eyes. Through his body and face, Theo is able to express a wide range of emotions which add depth and layers within his work. His body draws you, his eyes keep you there.


'My eyes get a lot of attention, and to a large extent....my penis. I am not complaining.'


When choosing my favorite images of Theo, some of my favorites were from his work with San Francisco based photographer Roy McGinnis. Roy's goal through his work is brining the beauty of the his subject into focus and creating a visual memory for other to enjoy. Roy considers it an honor to be a part of this memory process. Although most photographers call their art a passion, you can literally feel the passion pouring out of each of Roy's images. Within his work with Theo there is an epic feel, especially in the images with the Wings. Intensely beautiful, dramatic and gothic but most of all memorable.


'I walked into Roy's studio wearing shorts and sandals - we did a couple of test shots and then I disrobed. He was playing around with lights and he had a helper who was teaching me poses and reactions. It was quite a unique experience as I was learning acting and how to react. He captured expressions and motions in a raw, unfiltered form that was fantastic. When he sent me the processed pic, I couldn’t believe them - simply outstanding.'




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stunning shots