Friday, January 31, 2014

At Variance: Aaron by Gordon Nebeker


There is a spirituality that permeates the work of photographer Gordon Nebeker. It comes from the passion for his art and his ability to capture the flow within the movement of model. It doesn't hurt of course that Gordon so often shoots in Northwestern Utah and when ever I spend time with his images, I want to book a plane ticket there to re-energize


Gordon first introduced FH readers to his work with Aaron last July. (Earthly Embrace) Gordon returned to Utah this past September, joined again by Aaron and this time photographer Tom Clark. Gordon sent me some preview shots in October and since then have been looking forward to seeing, and sharing more.


'How can one even begin to capture its magic in a photograph? Then it hit me! The landscapes needed a worthy foil; someone in the scene to give it scale and relevance. In short, a man to match the mountains.'


I loved the quote above from the last piece and it certainly continues to apply. Aaron has an incredible body that equals the beauty that surrounds it. More impressive however is Aaron's ability to use his body, with, on and within the rock and sand he so breathtakingly interacts with.


Gordon Nebeker, Perspective:

'My photographer friend, Tom Clark who is based in Salt Lake City, Utah, kindly introduced me to Aaron who had modeled for him a number of times during the previous year. I did a shoot with Aaron in June of last year and was looking forward to working with him again when I returned to Utah on a trip in late September.'


'Aaron said it might be fun if Tom came along with us and I whole-heartedly agreed. Tom and I had never done a shoot together before so it was a great opportunity to trade some tips and observe how we each approach the shooting process. Aaron was terrific as always and didn't seem to mind two photographers issuing posing suggestions that were sometimes at variance with each other. "Look this way", Now look that way". Tom and I have very different styles but we also like and have a great deal of respect for each other's work. It has been fun and interesting toy see what results we got photographing the same subject from different perspectives.'





No comments: