Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Comforting Creatures: Phillip by YogaBear Studio


'What I get from modeling is comfort, creativity and experience.'
Phillip


It is always fascinating to look at why an image, why an artist or why a specific model grabs my attention. Having worked on FH for close to nine years, you would think I would have figured it out. Despite the site's focus on the male form, it is rarely that form that draws me in. Yes, it certainly may be a body that first draws my eye, but in order to grab my attention, and especially to be able to hold it, there has to be more...


The more I write about images, and those who create them, the more I understand part of what grabs my attention is often more about me. My state of mind and mood, my libido level and the degrees of desire I am open to, or have time to let in. Most mornings, I drive to work and barely notice anything or anyone along the way. Other days, the back of someone walking away, even far in the distance, can activate a state of arousal that has me driving around the block a few times before being able to head to my office.


Great artists to me, are those able to create a nexus. To form a connection between what they see and capture, and the emotions and experiences of the viewer. These connections aren't always permanent, they beautifully fluctuate, their flow linked organically with the commitment of artist, model and viewer. Good photographers and models are able create hot visuals that provide joy and stimulation. Great artists, tap into pieces of a model's personality, essence and spirit, that creates that nexus with the viewer.


I felt this instantly earlier this year after seeing YogaBear Studio's images of Phillip. Although Phillip has a killer body, it was the image at the top of this piece that motivated me to ask YogaBear's David about featuring his shoot with Phillip. David's portraits of Phillip capture not just his incredible smile, beautiful eyes and great hair, they also capture something that for me, had me wanting to see and learn more.


I often ask models what draws them to the field, and I think Phillip is the first, and only person, who responded by including the word comfort. Although it may be difficult to imagine modeling, especially if you're modeling without a stitch of clothing on, as comforting, but I knew instantly what he meant. I remember being in plays and musicals, and the long, and sometimes difficult, hours of rehearsals. Even when I struggled with a line, or to find the right note for a moment, there was comfort. The comfort came in the creative process and knowing I was doing something that I really loved. The process fed my soul, unlike so many other jobs people must do, which sadly and slowly, work to deplete it.


'I am more and more comfortable with every shoot I go into. I am comfortable with my body, being naked, and comfortable with my sexuality. I have gotten to know my self more. As I go into more shoots and do various things with photographers and other creative artists. I find art can be a messy thing, art can be all about timing, art can be a virgin mistake that turns out to be a masterpiece. Above all I am learning art is all relative and the same is to say about life.'
Phillip


Phillip began modeling a couple of years ago and describes it as an eye opening experience. His eventual goal is to be a professional actor. Modeling has been a great compliment to his acting, both allowing Phillip to explore creativity and character. 'The creativity I learn from modeling is very put together on the spot. It's what you have, or what you've gathered that makes the work of art what it is. It's a very "let's try it out" kind of business which is the same with the film industry.'


David saw Phillip's work on another photographer's website and really loved his look and approach to posing. 'He certainly didn't disappoint—he’s very professional and put a lot of energy into the concepts I wanted to do.'


'The work I did with David was fun. When I go into a shoot I like to get to know the photographer a little bit and what I learned with David is that he is meticulous and takes his time. This makes sense because he is also into ceramics and making pottery is also very meticulous and time consuming. David also works quickly. You realize right as you step into his studio. He knows what he wants and just like clay he molds you into a shape. He has a few concepts that he has planned that out before hand and ready to get them into the lens.'




No comments: