Monday, October 31, 2016

A Haunting We Will Go!


'The reason I love Halloween is that unlike most holidays, Halloween is one you can make entirely your own. There are no pressures to decorate (which I do), or cook, (which I don't) there are no family meals or visits from the cousin you choose to avoid most of the rest of the year. There are no gifts to buy and there are not battles over whether the religious connection should or should not be in the play and you eat things you mostly try to avoid the rest of the year. Halloween is also the night you can dress as you would the rest of the year if only you could get away with it!'

Tye Briggs, FH (2012)


The hours between the end of school and heading out the door trick or treating almost had the feel of Christmas Eve. Excitement, anticipation and on October 31st, a wee bit of fear. I remember going out in the 80's, with my siblings, one hand holding my fathers hand, the other holding the plastic pumpkin. When I got old enough to go out with friends, my father remained at home and the plastic pumpkin had turned into a pillow case.


By the early 90's, I was still going out, but the pillow case was more of a suitcase for eggs and silly string and I joined my friends with the intentions of causing lots of trouble. Usually, the eggs ended up being smashed on the street, and the instinct to cause problems was over taken with the instinct to acquire as many mini kit kats as I possibly could.


Getting home was always anti-climatic, yet had it's own levels of joy. Taking off the costume, (and often the winter coat) putting my UNICEF box on the bureau, and piling the large quantities of candy onto my bed. I am sure I am not alone in separating the bars, the chips and candy kisses and disposing of any apples or tooth brushes that found their way into the bag. After trading with my siblings, (usually to get rid of the cheezies) the bars were eaten first. I love opening up those mini loot bags and seeing what was inside. Usually it was candy kisses and chiclets. I didn't eat that night were hidden in the back of my closet. Although it never did, I was always sure the candy was going to last me until Christmas!


Today Halloween is quite different. I still love it, but it's joy comes in the weekends that come before and after. Decorating, parties, trips to get a pumpkin and horror movie marathons. On Halloween night, I am usually rushing home to carve the pumpkin and give out candy for an hour or so. Then, I usually head to my best friends home and give out more candy and greet my God daughter when she returns from trick or treating. There is always a moment though, usually when I get back home later in the night. The wind is cool, the night, now quiet and that same feeling of arriving home with pillow case comes flooding back. Although I miss those childhood Halloweens, I never have to worry about running out of mini kit kats again...


One of the images below I have posted before, but went a-searching for more from the shoot. I never did find the source, but found two others from the series. If anyone knows anything more about the shoot, please let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Halloween has always been my favorite holidays. I loved it more than Christmas as a kid. It's not as fun as an adult but I do love horror movie marathons.

-Chris