Wednesday, January 4, 2017

First Time: Domhnall Gleeson in About Time


When I began First-Time last year, it was meant to feature some of my favorites actors in their film debuts. I thought of the series after catching a young Matt Dillon in on TCM in 1979's Over the Edge. I started to find the theme a bit limiting so have morphed into something that fits closer to FH's 'first' theme for 2017.


The series will not feature movies and roles that first had really paying attention to an actor. It may be an early role, or it may be one more recent. It may not necessarily be their best role nor is it always a role in a particularly good movie. For me, About Time was that movie and Tim was the character that had me wanting to learn more about Ireland born actor Domhnall Gleeson.

Domhnall in About Time (2012)

Domhnall has been acting professionally since 2001 and many of you may have first met him as Bill Weasley in the Harry Potter films. In the past few years, Domhnall has had break out roles in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Revenant and in Angelina Jolie's Unbroken. Even though About Time didn't break out to be as successful as these blockbusters, it so far, is my favorite Domhnall film.


I decided to buy About Time after reading it was was written by Richard Curtis, the writer responsible for the screenplays for Love Actually, Bridget Jones and Notting Hill, not to mention many other film and television projects I liked including Mr. Bean and The Vicar of Dibley. Richard's projects are ones that I have enjoyed watching again and again.


If Domhnall's co-star Rachel McAdams didn't give it away, About Time is a romantic comedy, but one with a twist. The film opens with Tim's dad (Bill Nighy) pulling him aside on New Year's morning to share a family secret. That secret, is that the men in the family have the ability to go back in time and alter the trajection of their lives. I am not usually a huge fan of 'time travel' in films, especially a romance, but in this film it is used sparingly and smartly. It is not used as the plot, but as part of the telling of the story of Tim's romantic journey.


Domhnall was so adorable as Tim, and his talent as an actor had me engaged from the very beginning. It also has me looking forward to checking out more of his work, especially Brooklyn, a movie I know is well done, but for some reason have avoided. Domhnall also has over a half dozen movies coming out in the next year or two including Mother with Jennifer Lawrence, American Made with Tom Cruise and Star Wars: Episode VIII.


In addition to the nude gif near the top of Domhnall from Room for Dessert, Part Two'-Immaturity for Charity (HERE:) Domhnall also had a brief nude scene in Unbroken. You can search for it if you want, it is brief butt shot. I didn't include it because of scenes contest and torture element.

Domhnall as General Hux in Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)


Domhnall with director Angelina Jolie and the cast of Unbroken (2014)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved him on Black Mirror. He's adorable!

-Chris

Tye said...

Chris,

Thanks, I'll look for it!

Tye