Thursday, February 23, 2017

DirtRoad: Dormancy


Dormant: Having normal physical functions suspended or slowed down for a period of time; in or as if in a deep sleep


Many organisms, fish, plant, animal and humans go dormant from time to time, especially in the winter. There is a safety in Dormancy, a warmth, a comfort, a stillness that is often required. Eventually however, the snow melts, the ice unfreezes and the sun comes back out. Some return full of energy and excitement, others are dragged from their cocoons kicking and screaming.


Warren Russell (DirtRoad) is one of my favorite artists to feature and enjoy. Warren's images are beautifully peaceful, erotic and soulful. In titled one of my posts last full, featuring Warren's work with Noplacia Photography, Swan Song. Warren was thinking his modeling might have to come to an end. Life had taken over, and a new job was taking much of Warren's time, and he felt it might be time for modeling to be seen from the rear view mirror only.


I asked Warren if he might step into the woods once last time for a piece on FH and a few weeks ago, he did just that. Warren didn't have time to edit, so sent me on the raw images to do with what I thought best. I left them just as is. I know many photographers like the sun and the beach, but some of my favorite shoots of the male form are set in the woods.


I especially love the autumn and winter woods if the model is able to bare the chill. I was both intrigued, and excited when Warren sent on the images with the heading Dormancy. Although he doesn't know how long it will be, Warren promises, that at some point he'll be back. I of course, will let you know when the snow starts to melt.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! One of my favorite models of all time. I just find the sensibility that comes across in his images to be so intriguing. I was disappointed to read last year that he was retiring from modeling. I don't know what DirtRoad's motivations are for modeling but I for one am glad that he shares himself in this way. I feel that he represents a unique category made possible through Model Mayhem and Tumblr, and I appreciate both his collected work and his willingness to put himself out there in such an honest fashion.