Saturday, May 6, 2017

Locker Room Drop In


'Ok wrestlers, we've got a big meet tomorrow, so no beatin the meat tonight!'
Coach


John Irving is one of my favorite authors, I think I have read The Hotel New Hampshire at least three times. Although I enjoyed the novel of Hotel more than The World According to Garp, Garp's movie adaptation was very well done. The performances, especially by Robin Williams, Glenn Close and John Lithgow elevated the 1982 film adaptation of Irving's novel.


I saw the film years ago, but caught part of it again a few weeks ago. I had almost forgotten that locker room scene. When a young Garp follow the wrestling team into the locker room, (and then his mom who comes to fetch him) thee is an innocence about the scene, even with half of college aged wrestlers walking around naked.


Director George Roy Hill clearly wanted the scene to be authentic, as it is clear in several quick flashes, the jocks were not wearing anything under their towels. Check out my post on the The Hotel New Hampshire HERE:


No comments: