Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Asterion: Matt Shawshank by JC Norton



Sometimes what draws me to a model, to a photo, to an artist can be as just one split second. I was flicking quickly through the pages of a site a couple of weeks ago when an image got stuck in my mind. I did not smartly stop and take note of the shot right away. Instead I continued to flick through more pages before realizing it was inevitable that I would go back and take a closer look. As usual though, (I know you have been there too) the image,that just a few minutes ago leaped directly onto my radar...now seemed to be hiding...



The image (seen further below) was of an adorable guy, laying on his stomach, naked. Arms over a pillow, glasses in hand, one arm of the glasses gently sitting between his lips. There was something about the shot, his looking to the side, the light on his skin, and especially those glasses that had me wanting to see more.



The model turned out to be 28 year old science student Matt Shawshank (and yes FH readers, I did attempt to weave Matt's name into a clever title for the post, The Shawshank Extension came to mind but. decided I would be going for the easy joke).

'I hopes to display my thoughts and feelings through outward expression, and to help others do the same through their photos of me.'
Matt Shawshank




I can think of no one better collaborator of outward expression than Kentucky photographer JC Norton. JC Norton specializes in portfolio development for fitness models and bodybuilders. You can see some of the models, and more of his work, at his website, Musclehead Graphics. He does fairly frequent shoots at competitions and competition shots are posted on his Facebook page as well as on competition websites. JC also produces limited edition fine art prints and has had work in exhibitions. His prints are in collections throughout the US and overseas and many can be found on his page at My Art Space found Here:

Directly below:
That one split second shot that initially captured my eye:






'I worked with Matt Shawshank quite a while ago, in 2006, in fact. He is a wonderful model -- takes direction well and brings ideas to the shoot, something I like quite a lot, as I really enjoy working with models who have ideas they want to explore visually. For this shoot, we did a bit of edgy fashion and some fitness work, but focused primarily on the fine art side of things. We got some wonderful figure studies, but spent most of the time, working on two conceptual projects. The first was a group of images depicting the Seven Deadly Sins. It's an idea I'd done before with other models and one to which I will return, but the group done with Matt is a favorite. The second was a concept piece I'd been thinking about for quite a while, a group of images based on the myth of the Minotaur. For this, I needed two adventurous and very patient models as the process was protracted, both in the shoot itself and in the post production. The result was a limited edition portfolio, several pieces of which are presented here. One image from the group was exhibited at the Nude International in 2007. I hope to work with him again sometime.'

The Legend of the Minotaur
Photography by JC Norton (2006)
Models:
Shrad
Matt Shawshank


THE MINOTAUROS (or Minotaur) was a bull-headed monster born to Queen Pasiphae of Krete after she had coupled with a bull. The creature resided in the twisting maze of the labyrinth, where he was offfered a regular sacrifice of youths and maids to satisfy his cannibalistic hunger. He was eventually destroyed by the hero Theseus.
The Minotauros' proper name Asterion, "the starry one,"




Minotaur information Source:

No comments: