Thursday, September 28, 2017

Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke


TCM recently aired another viewing of Cat On A Hot Tin Roof. The classic movie is played several times a year, and it usually has me pressing record on my DVR. I saw the Tennessee Williams classic for the first time only a few years ago and it inspired a tribute to the many actors who have played the role of Brick. (A Ton of Bricks)


I only watched a few minutes of my recent recording, but enough to remind me how talented, and incredibly hot Paul Newman was. I was thinking how sad it was we never got a Newman nude scene when a quick google proved me wrong. Many of you many have known of Newman's brief nude scene from 1967's Cool Hand Luke, but I had not. Not usually a lover of westerns, I was never really drawn to the film, but after reading Newman was briefly nude, I had to find a copy.


First off, if you haven't seen the movie, the scene is quick and set a night, so darkly lit. But... you do get a brief view of Newman's butt, well, one cheek is a little better lit than the other. I was however far from disappointed as given I didn't think there was any Newman nudity, it was a pleasant surprise. The entire movie was a pleasant surprise and I ended up enjoying it very much. Newman was great, and very heartbreaking as Luke, whose spirit is slowly ripped away as the story progressed.


The film is also a testosterone and sweaty and shirtless filmed 2 hours with appearances by a slew of young actors like George Kennedy, Dennis Hopper and Harry Dean Stanton. I had never thought of these actors as 'hunks', but they all looked good shirtless. Pa Walton, actor Ralph Waite also had a brief butt scene which I capped below. I believe there were only two named female characters, and both on screen only briefly. Rumor has it, director Stuart Rosenberg wanted to encourage the male bonding, and prison type feel by banning wives and girlfriends from the set.









Ralph Waite

Pa is the third member of the Walton family who drou from the camera. Check out my previous post with John Boy and Grandpa's posterior's HERE: (Too bad we didn't get a Jim Bob flash...





No comments: