Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Coming Attractions: Harris Dickinson in Trust


Although Ryan Murphy had me turning off AHS: Cult last season, he redeemed himself with Feud, especially the masterful opening credits. I think I enjoyed Feud because , the focus was on character with dialogue driven scene reliant on good writing and acting, unlike the last few seasons of AHS which seemed more about how much blood and shock could be shoved every second scene.


Thankfully, The Assassination of Gianni Versace, the second season of Murphy's American Crime Story is also character driven with the a stellar cast, especially Darren Criss as serial killer Andrew Cunanan. Judith Light was wonderful as always, but I was more impressed with Mike Farrell, who I had really only known from his role of B.J. Hunnicutt on M*A*S*H, a show my parents used to watch endlessly in repeats.


FX may not be creating great TV, but has been doing a great job of developing 'must see' and newsworthy TV and it looks like they may have another one with Trust In between Criss's tormented turn as Versace's killer, FX has been heavily promoting Trust, it's new series about the kidnapping of John Paul Getty III. The series stars Donald Sutherland and Harris Dickinson, two actors I would not have guessed would end up working together.


Sutherland, who's turn in as the well meaning but emotionally limited father in Ordinary People was one of my favorite performances, and Dickinson was able to push beyond all the hype surrounding his on screen nudity to turn in a complex and memorable performance in last years Beach Rats. Dickinson had me intrigued from the first moment I saw the trailer for Beach Rats, and I look forward to seeing him and Sutherland together when Trust premieres next month.

Clique (2017)

Beach Rats (2017)

No comments: