Thursday, April 26, 2018

Blast From The Past: James Naughton


It's interesting to me whenever I discover an actor that I didn't realize was actually a big part of my life. This happened recently with James Naughton. One of my movie channels had a Stephen King marathon a few weeks ago and I DVR'd the films I hadn't seen, including 1985's Cat's Eye. I wasn't really expecting much from the viewing but actually ended up enjoying the film very much. The movie features three story's, with nothing really in common except a cat.


The first two stories were actually the best with the last story, featuring Drew Barrymore, the weakest of the three. Although I loved ET, I haven't really been a huge fan of Barrymore's films, especially early in her career. I instantly recognized the actor playing Drew's father, I know I had heard his voice and seen his beautiful face before. A quick IMDB search told me the hot shirtless daddy was played by James Naughton, and checking out his resume, I was surprised I hadn't featured him on FH before.

The Devil Wears Prada (2006)

I have enjoyed Naughton on TV and film for years, most recently his appearances in The Devil Wears Prada, and on TV in The Affair, Damages and Gossip Girl. Naughton has been a regular fixture on TV and on film since the early 70's, and I actually capped his scenes in The Paper Chase for my feature on Timothy Bottoms (HERE:) a few years ago.

City Of Angels (1990)

A busy stage actor as well, my biggest connection is probably through Broadways's City of Angels, a role that brought Naughton the Tony for best performance by a lead actor in a musical. I bought the soundtrack after seeing James and company on the Tony's and the score and Naughton's strong powerful voice accompanied me on many long drives in my car.

The Paper Chase (1973)


I Love My Wife (1977)

The Broadway production of the musical I Love My Wife, opened at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre on April 17, 1977 and featured Naughton as Wally, Joanna Gleason as Monica, Lenny Baker, as Alvin and Ilene Graff as Cleo.


Planet of the Apes (1974)

As a big fan of the old Planet of the Apes movies, I bought the one and only season of the TV show version a few years ago.. I had not watched them yet, but did crack them open to make a few caps for this piece.  In a quick scan, it does appear that James and co-star Ron Harper were often shirtless when running and battling their furry foes.


Cat's Eye (1985)

No comments: